Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Modeling in Japan

Dylan has a wonderful opportunity to do some modeling while we are stationed here in Japan!
It all started when his in-home provider (the kind lady who cares for him while I am at the gym) told me a modeling fair was coming to the base and I HAD to take Dylan. After praying about it and talking with Rory, the decision was why not. It would be an excellent opportunity to see more of Japan (shooting sites), meet more people, and possibly for Dylan to set aside money for his future.
Fleet and Family Services invited about 10 agencies to come on base for a modeling fair. There were two sessions in a middle school gymnasium. It was still extremely warm outside but the base had already shut off the a/c. Dylan and I waited in line to meet with only 4 agencies. After the first agency Dylan decided it was too hot, there were too many people and he hated lines! When a pre-toddler decides all of that you can only imagine what it looked and sounded like! Being the sweet social butterfly (can guys be butterflies?) that he is Dylan smiled for the cameras. Though every time we left to wait in line he let the whole gym now about it. When our time was up and I was this close to pulling my hair out; we slipped Dylan's picture and registration form in the rest of the agencies boxes on our way out. I had my doubts.
We were immediately contacted via email by two agencies asking for more pictures. Then before we left for Australia a company called to ask if Dylan would be free for an audition. Nope it was to take place when we were in Australia. So be it.
Then we had another call! Dylan was offered an opportunity to be in an audition on January 9th. Rory was whispering National Championship game in my ear as I accepted. I was dying to see the game but how could I not give Dylan this opportunity. Thankfully I did see the whole game since AFN (Armed Forces Network) played the game again that evening! Go Gators!!!!!!!!
January 9th dawned cold and stormy here in Japan. What a nasty day to head out for an audition. We took the trains and subway to Tokyo. I didn't realize that I would be taking the subway. Why does this matter you ask? Well there are no elevators in the subway system! Can I tell you what a killer (not a good killer) workout I received carrying Dylan, my book bag and his stroller up multiple flights of stairs! Once back outside in the rain, we found the Japanese lady who was waiting to take us to the audition. We made it out of the rain into a broom closet size room with 25 plus people there for the audition! I was then directed to take Dylan's shoes off and bring him around the corner. His height was then measured as well as his foot size. This happened before I could blink twice. We were then in a slightly (and I mean slightly) larger room. To the right under a window was a folding table full of clothes and a few chairs. To the left the rest of the room complete with a panel of judges at another folding table, a videographer who was manning the bright and goofy bird puppet, and a photographer. A Japanese lady mutely gave me an outfit for Dylan to put on and began helping me change him. Then it was his time to shine! He stood there maybe gave a half smile, tried to touch the video camera and then thank you thank you. We were done. There wasn't even time for Dylan to realize there was a puppet;) The time we spent indoors out of the rain was 10 minutes 15 minutes tops! As I was exiting the room, we were given yen for our troubles. A very kind way of giving us part of our transportation cost.
I left thinking no way did they like Dylan. One of the reasons was the boy in line behind us was before the judges longer. He also changed outfits twice. Of course, I did tell Rory that it was my American frame of reference that made this decision. Warning no matter where you live your frame of reference may be off.
Today we got a call from the agent assigned to work with us saying that Dylan got the job!! Actually not only did he get the job but Combi wants him to do two days of shooting for their catalog! We will report back to you all about shooting a catalog after we survive the 18th and 19th of this month:) It is sure to be a neat experience and very interesting.
(I also promise to get the rest of the Australia pictures posted)

1 comment:

Nikki said...

CONGRATULATIONS "hot" little D!!! Very awesome. We are exciting to hear how it all goes!! Love you guys. xoxoxo