Thursday, May 28, 2009

Hiroshima - Okonomiyaki

Okonomiyaki has become a food symbol of Hiroshima.
Its origins date back to the 1920s when it was called "Issen Yoshoku" literally meaning "one cent western meal". I am not exactly sure why these cabbage pancakes are considered a western meal? I have never had anything like it my life. The current name is derived from the word okonomi meaning "what you like" or "what you want" and yaki meaning "grilled" or "cooked".



As I am sure you could tell those were a couple of pictures of the ladies making our Okonomiyaki. There is a batter layer spread out on the grill then cabbage, noodles, pork and bean sprouts. Of course you can customize this part but we got the traditional one which I just listed. After all the goodies "the gu" are piled on top of the cabbage an egg is cracked over top. Once the dish is ready to go then the a sauce is drizzled over the top. You are expected to eat it all with chopsticks!:)


No matter how it sounded Hiroshima okonomiyaki was delicious. Okonomiyaki is now made through out Japan but slightly different everywhere. We were told by our MWR guide that Hiroshima's okonomiyaki is very popular. I can understand why.

Yes that is a Gerber toddler meal beside me because no Dylan didn't eat any okonomuyaki:)

No comments: