Thursday, May 8, 2008

Problem - Power Tool Solution


When it gets quiet what do we parents know? Oh yes the child is into something fun and probably not what they are supposed to be into.

At first all this did was make more of a mess for Mom to pick up - no big deal. Dylan was happy and not hurting himself. I must say the cutest part was when I would find Dylan with a diaper hanging from his mouth and one under each hand as he would "ski" on them around the room.

Soon, as you can see this became a safety issue. Never unless you want to get creative buy a changing table without doors! This is what I found yesterday when it got quiet. I knew I had to make some changes for Little Man's safety.


Here was the solution bust out the power tools!

I bought two shelves to match the ones his teddy bears were on. One went by the futon for my books and some extras (water proof pads, Lysol, diaper baggies etc...) The other went above his changing table and held all the changing essentials - q-tips, baby powder, lotion, etc...)


This way on the shelves of the changing table, I could have safe items only.
Half of the bottom shelf is now his toys. As you can see he thought this was a great idea:)

Aah a woman and power tools:) I had out the drill, screw driver, laser level and hammer. The directions said putting up one shelf takes about 15 minutes ( I am sure Rory could have done it in 7 minutes) I of course doubled that time so it took me and hour to put up both. I had to figure out how to get the bit to stay in the drill, I was eating my dinner at the same time (us ladies have to multi-task), and of course I didn't have the right size bit so I had to make due. Anyways, I got the shelves up, vacuumed up the mess, put the items up on the shelves, ate dinner, fed Dylan his "night cap", changed clothes, put on some mascara and out the door we went to hang out with the ladies all in 1.5 hours. Oh yes, power tools are invigorating, but I am so ready for Rory to be back:)

6 comments:

Courtney&Chris said...

Good work! Kim the ToolWoman! I'm very impressed... as a new mom, I think I'm most impressed that you managed to eat during the project!!

Jenna said...

Good for you! I think I am pretty handy doing some things, but wouldn't have a clue what to do with a drill!!

Nikki said...

That's my sister!! You go girl!! Shelves look great :) xoxoxo and Dylan looks very safe and happy.

Jaime said...

Girl, you deserve major props! Madalyn is also constantly into everything as well and I have had to move bad stuff out of her reach.... and then it seems she finds something else to get into. Babyproofing is hard if you have a curious creature like Mr. Dylan! :)

Megan said...

Oh my gosh these pictures just made me laugh out loud thinking of Mr. Dylan getting himself into trouble :o) I am very impressed with your power tool skills - you put the rest of us to shame :o)

Love you guys - Meg

Unknown said...

This is so awesome....