Thursday, February 19, 2009

Nikko Part Three

Did you know that Nikko, Japan is really the gateway to the world? Before heading back to Yokosuka we thought we would add to our adventure by going to see many of the world's unique sights. For example...The Great Wall of ChinaBig Ben in LondonSaint Peters BasilicaGreat Pyramids of EgyptOk Ok no we didn't fly off to multiple different countries, we visited Tobu World Square. Tobu World Square exhibits world-famous architectural works and ancient monuments all scaled down to 1/25. There were a total of 102 structures from 21 countries including 45 inscribed as World Heritages by UNESCO. Guess what we got in here for free was well with the flyer!!! It is great being a foreigner:)Dylan love Tokyo Station in the modern day Japan zone. He would walk back and forth, back and forth as he followed the trains in and out of the station:)Here we have King Kong at the airport - oh wait that is my honey towering over the planes:)Mom this one is for you!

The Palace guard and your daughter posing as the Japanese always do - with a peace sign.Our 100% American Smiley CheeksArc de Triomphe
When we came into the American zone we were greeted with a bitter sweet view of the World Trade Towers. When I saw the towers, I was hit pretty hard with the memories and emotions of 9/11. I had to take a step back to process everything as well as dry my tears. We knew that they were a part of the exhibit but I never realized how hard it would be to see them. Prayers were said for our country as well as the families who lost loved ones.


Posing with the semi-bullet train.

Ok so I was posing with the train and Dylan was trying to run away!

This train sure did save us some time on the way home. We had to buy an extra ticket which gave you your seat assignment. It was all very much like getting a plane ticket.

Once back in Yokosuka we realized there was a welcome parade for us. Ok not so much.



Obviously we didn't understand a word of the chanting we heard, the lyrics to the music being played or read everything on the signs. We most certainly did understand the point of the march.
No CVN! They don't want the USS George Washington to be here. Everyone has the right to their opinions and I have the right to take pictures. I doubt they really liked me taking pictures or the other Americans we passed by on Blue Street - oh well. You have to have these pictures for the scrapbook from Japan.

My red, white and blue blood didn't boil this time around. We saw this group again after going to Kawagoe for the day that is when they got my blood boiling. But that is for another blog.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

The pictures of the twin towers brought tears to my eyes and gave me goose bumps- it would be so surreal to see them in person!