Sunday, July 19, 2009

Fuji-san Summit

As I mentioned early I was having a great time. My face would quickly break into a smile even in the worst of the conditions that is when I was not focused on finding a stable foot and hand hold. This was all until one Japanese man almost ruined it. Dawn had this habit of trying to ask everyone how far we had to go. She even busted out with the are we there yet a couple of times. Anyways one man answer back with a smile only a little bit more to go. I was thinking sweet I will be at the summit eating my ramen feeling like a million bucks for arriving at the top very soon. Obviously my frame of reference for a little bit isn't his which made the last 30minutes tougher than any other part of the trek! After every twist turn and bend, I was expecting to see the grand finale - streamers, confetti, the band you know the whole works (for those of you who don't know I am so teasing) That made it tough. Prior to hearing a little bit I was just thinking one more step, find a spot for one more step, flex those fingers they aren't that cold, wow you are climbing Fuji, etc... The last 30 minutes I was focused on that toddler phrase are we there yet that Dawn had mentioned one too many times. To her credit I think she was kidding and only said it twice.
Earlier in our climbing we had arrived at a Torii gate which really got me excited! I figured there had to be something special about that stop - aside from the shrine. Oh no we were no where near the summit. So the next Torii gate I spotted with less glee than the first but still a glimmer of hope that we were close. When we came to the third Torii gate I didn't even blink much less get excited I was drudging along for a "little bit" to get to the summit. Besides hadn't I learned Torii gates aren't that special.




Standing under the unexciting Torii gate, I took these two pictures looking back at the lion-dogs protecting the entrance. After the quick pictures, we continued up a few more steps and rounded a little corner. It was there that I saw my chocolate friend again in a circle of men all with huge grins are their faces. In the instant of seeing that many Japanese people smiling at once, knowing I had been climbing for a "little bit" too long I went straight to chocolate man and we hugged with massive grins are our faces. I then started over to the closest hut but wait why did I hug chocolate friend? I went back to him and said "are we at the summit?" Of course I had to do some charades and rephrase a couple times before he says "yes top, the top" My only guess is that subconsciously I knew I was at the summit a few seconds prior to consciencely wonder if I had arrived??? I am sure that my chocolate friend found it ironic and funny that we gave each other a celebratory hug then I asked if I was there yet. Hey it was cold and I was tired - no more excuses needed.

July 18th 10:19 a.m.

- after 5 hours and 5 minutes which included, water breaks, bathroom breaks, and stick stamping breaks we had arrived!!!!


Here is the large hut that dominated the man made aspect of the summit. Do you see the band, confetti and streamers? Me either but this was the best looking thing at the moment! It blocked the wind, sheltered me from the rain and offered warm food. Do you see the man in red in the above picture? I would have loved to shout hooray with my hands over my head but I was too tired and cold.

New camera issue the lens fogged up. I am just thrilled that one my camera didn't die because it got water logged like Ingrid's (you will meet her later) nor two did my batter die like Dawn's! You know how I love my pictures those to options would have been awful! a view looking from the back of the hut to the frontHad to show the gator shirt even if it wasn't outside by the crater or ledge.


Boxes upon boxes of supplies lined the wall of the hut - who had to pack this stuff up?


Ah hot ramen.

The best ramen I have had in Japan. It had nothing to do with taste and everything to do with temperature! Once I had stopped climbing my body began to shake horribly! My back muscles were so tense and I was shaking so hard I had a fleeting thought that I may snap my own spine! When I was given my ramen my arms and hands were shaking so violently that I spilled it all over my legs. At first I was disgusted with myself for spilling but within 10 seconds my thoughts changed to aahhh that feels really good- so warm! There was an instant where I thought about pouring my bowl of ramen over my head and letting it warm my body but thankfully that lasted even less than 10 seconds! Some how I shook my way through the ramen and drank my canned coffee. The shaking never did cease before we decided to leave:(The kitchen in the back of the hut



These cauldrons where full of steaming hot water and housed coffee, tea, hot chocolate and the like. This beautiful warm sight greets you as you enter the hut.

Getting our sticks branded with TOP of FUJI!!!!


Go America - whats with our Flag being so little?

Someone needs to hike a larger one up there
All too soon we decided to head out into this...






If the weather had permitted I would have walked around the circumference of the summits crater. Being that is was miserable out to put it kindly and the wind was a ferocious beast I was not walking another 90min around the crater. In all honestly I would more than likely been blown in and I have no intention of missing that plane on August 8.


After stopping at the worst bathroom yet we started our decent at 12:37pm.

Speaking of bathrooms yes there were a few on the mountain. I was pleasantly surprised about their state except for the one on the summit. We used two on the way up. Paying 100 yen you went into a hut that separate left and right. On the woman's side they had western toilets!!! This was a huge shock. Now there is NO water on Fuji so anything aside from bodily wastes was to be place in the waste basket beside the toilet. :( Overall lovely considering where I was. Now the summit bathroom was appalling. Ingrid a lady from our bus who we meet at the summit hut warned us. I guess my brain was too frozen or I thought I understood her warning. I DID NOT but didn't realize it. She said you could see the men. Well in a lot of areas of Japan including the other two bathrooms if you look the opposite way of the woman's as you walk in you may see a man using the restroom. I have learned to keep my eyes focused on heading to the correct side. As I headed into the bathroom I paid the attendant 200 yen this time and almost ran out - not exaggerating. I was taken back because I was literally walking into a line of urinals being used. Since there are no bathrooms on the way down, instead of rushing out I burnt holes in my boots staring at them so hard. I prayed that I would not run into anyone as I memorized the dirt patterns etched into my boots.


Dawn and I had met Ingrid whose friend quit and turned around early on the climb and Chrissy whose three friends quit at least half way up. Once that nasty bathroom experience was over our group of four woman started to descend.

No comments: