Sunday, July 19, 2009

July 18 Climbing Fuji-san

Here is beautiful and majestic Fuji-san known to English speakers as Mt Fuji. It is Japan's highest peak. Mt Fuji is an active composite volcano. The above photo was taken in April when my Mom was visiting. The day she and I went was a whole lot prettier than my climbing day!

1:45 A.M. with a smile on my face and a thumbs up even after being regaled with details of horror and unusual punishment on my taxi ride to the bus departure location. When the taxi driver picked me up began his tale of Fuji torture including shredded hiking boots, crashing for 13 hours after the eventful, and not being able to stand when he got out of bed. Thanks for the encouragement pal - nothing like bolstering a fellow adventurer's morale.

As you noticed I had my gator shirt on. I had grand plans for taking a picture at the top sporting my orange and blue - ha ha so much for that thought.

As we were driving up to the 5th station on Mt Fuji I was shocked to see the sky beginning to lighten at 4 A.M.! Of course since I have the curse of not being able to sleep unless laying down, I was awake for the approximately 3 hour drive.

Now let me give you a tidbit of background info. My grandparents built a home in the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina. Almost every summer growing up, we spent time up there hiking and enjoying the outdoors. I say up there since I was raised in flat Florida. Prior to the climb I thought uh mm I wonder if I will suffer from altitude sickness. It was something that had not occurred to until the safety briefing. Oh naw I will be fine; Hey I have hiked Grandfather Mountain were two of my brilliant thoughts. At least I took the time to look up the altitudes of the two mountains. Grandfather Mountain which for a Florida Girl is a BIG mountain is approx. 5,964 feet and Fuji is approx. 12,388 feet.

Oh my look at the challenge that I had waiting for me!Our climb (please notice my choice of wording CLIMB not hike) was to take place on the North side of Mt Fuji in the Yamanashi prefecture. Fuji is actually located in two different prefectures. Fuji is behind the building hiding behind a cloud that I will learn soon enough was ominous! As we exited the bus most of us donned our rain jackets and pants. I was being hopeful and left the rain pants in my backpack for the moment.The entrance to the trailOh look at this great hike on a nice trail of lava stone and dustAn awesome view from the beginning of the hike.

As I mentioned we arrived at the 5th station to begin our climb. Fuji's 5th station at 7,700 feet had already surpassed Grandfather Mts total height! Looking back at the 5th stationTwo more pictures of hiking Fuji - deceivingly easy looking


This is crazy and wrong and you will understand why as the pictures continue. Yet it is not uncommon for the Japanese to bring along their young children as they climb Fuji-san.


Flashing the standard Japanese picture pose peace sign at the first of many markers.
Most of which didn't help a woman who reads English and struggles with converting the metric system.


The whole experience was breath taking for one reason or another. At the beginning it was the awesome views taking my breath away later it will be the terrain and lack of oxygen.

My Fuji buddy Dawn.

She and I were on the same bus and friendless. I came alone which is what we military spouses have to do a lot but her friend was a no show. She asked if we could hike together - sure sounds like a plan.



Looking up to where we were headed. Little did I know that this is where it all really began......

No comments: