Tuesday, June 17, 2008

IMPORTANT JAPAN INFO

Hello All
I am posting some important Japan info in lieu of the next day on our California trip.
I just received word from Rory this evening that we have been assigned housing in Japan
Our first preference - Yokosuka main base!!! This is an amazing blessing. It will be much easier for me to go to the gym and grocery shop, etc... without a vehicle. Otherwise, I would have been hoping on a couple trains to get to the main base - yikes
We will be in a high rise apartment building in a unit with 2 bedrooms which is approx. 1000 square feet. Yes, quite the down grade from our home here in Va, but this way whatever we end up with in Fl will be huge! Obviously we will be keeping most of our possessions here in storage. I call it indoor Japanese camping:) since we will not have a lot of the "extras". The unit does have a laundry room, balcony(ies), storage areas and what they say is plenty of cabinet space (I am guessing that was written by a man - he he) All units are also equipped with stove, refrigerator, microwave, washer and dryer. I have a floor plan print out that I will try to scan into the computer to post - we will see how that works
I found a website which has a great aerial of the base for those of you who care. http://wikimapia.org/15119/
a map of U.S. Naval Base Yokosuka should come up (give it some time) We will be in the large peninsula jutting out to the right in the map. I think but am not sure that we will be right in the middle. If you zoom in you can see an area with about 6 high rise buildings - that is my guess of where the high rise we will be in is located.
Just wanted to share our joy of being given housing!

3 comments:

Jenna said...

How exciting!! I know you guys must be so nervous with anticipation over this next phase in your life- but it will be so amazing and something most people won't get to experience, ever!

How awesome you will be on base, surrounded by lots of Americans!!!

Jen Davis said...

I am so glad you received your preference. I know it will make the transistion easier for your family. I can't believe the time has come for you all to leave. At least with this phase you are one step closer to getting back to FL and we will finally be able to get our lil' ones together to play (like we talked about in college). Love you guys and God bless!!

Tami@ourhouse said...

Such great news! You know, we had 1000 sq feet when we were in Wake Forest in seminary- when we brought Caroline home that made six of us, so I know how cramped quarters are. It won't be too bad with just the three of you, and from what I understand, you'll still live better than most Japanese, who share those little apartments with more than one generation of family.

It's so great you'll be able to live together again and it will be a great adventure for all of you, something you'll never forget.