Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Part Two Nikko Trip - Samurai Costume Parade

This was touted as a must see for those interested in Japanese culture - The Nikko Samurai Costume Parade Festival.
Frame of Reference we all have one - mine lead me astray. I was thinking of American Parades and knew Dylan would just be fascinated! Below you see his favorite part of the parade:) Mom let him be a boy and play with rocks and dirt - cringe. Ok give me a break I am just learning that it will be ok if my baby boy has dirt under his nails and inevitable in his mouth as well as stains on his clothes. We have had a stain free closet up until this point, but I know it is down hill from here. I will think positive - my son is investigating the Lord's creation plus a little dirt even Japanese dirt never hurt anyone. Also it the child that makes the clothes cute not vice versa.


Boy did he have a time in the dirt! He was loving it and so were the Japanese. Multiple people came and asked to take his picture while he played. I also just noticed people taking his picture without asking - no parental waivers needed here:). He may be famous over here before we leave yet we will never know:)

It is amazing to me how Asians can sit crouched down like this for so long. I know my knees would blow out for sure! Have you tried it - not comfortable and as a trainer I would not recommend it for your joint health!
This man just patiently squatted here waiting for the parade. Do you see the branch in his hand? Part of the ceremonial cleansing tree. I made up that term but essentially that is what the tree did for the parade as you will see later. My guestimation would be the branch is now considered good luck. Many many people were carrying their branches, pieces of branches and leaves around with them.
Dylan had a parade buddy. This little boy was very interested in Dylan and even helped him eat his raisins. I was trying to be nice and friendly speaking to him in the little Japanese I know. Only to find out.... He is Korean:) I did feel slightly stupid at that point but God gives grace to the humble!
Also I tend to think people will just know I am from the US - false. I have had a couple people actually ask. When this little boy asked and I said the US. He just stared at me for a moment then it sunk in and he said oh the United States of America. Interesting perspective - do other people not call it the US??


Below is the parade route. As you can see we were surrounded by mountains. Nikko is located 4 hours (by bus) north and inland from Yokosuka and so beautiful.
Here is a picture of priests getting the parade route ready - the cleansing tree I mentioned earlierWe have begun! First there were fireworks that I heard but could not see and the parade began. It wasn't too long there after I realized the major error in my frame of reference. This parade wasn't anything like an American parade. Dylan was board to tears - thank goodness for raisins. There was silence...
stately walking...
(check out the hanes socks with the Edo period rope sandals)

silent walking...


The silence was broken for the occasional bong...

straight back (good posture a must with those headdresses) silent walking and


not the Samurai of Hollywood



A portable shrine was carried along the parade route. The belief is that a deity is inside. Do you see the white wads flying through the air towards the mikoshi (portable shrine)? The parade watchers were throwing tissues at the shrine?????????? I of course had to ask our guide when the parade was all over what was that about? Inside the tissue is money. She then told me that they wrap it in tissue to make it go farther - uhmmm. A little faulty I would think. I know I can throw coins farther than a tissue. If it was paper money wow the smallest bill is equivalent to our $10. Still wouldn't it go farther without the tissue? I will leave it - I know I am a foreigner and don't understand
The little boys in khaki are the designated tissue picker-uppersThe main event the shogun - top Samurai of the time
So the parade was more of a procession. Giving us a glimpse into what travel was like for a shogun. Talk about baggage!:) I did find the costumes fascinating and enjoyed my cultural experience. Just sorry that my little man wasn't entertained but he made it through like mommy's little champ always does!
Back to the bus where Dylan walked up and down the aisles as we waited for everyone to return. He enjoyed placing his cups in everyones cup holders:) It is so amazing to see his mind working


Had to add a picture of my lunch. It was delicious even the strange pickled orange and black things. Sorry I can't use a more descriptive word than things but once again I have no idea what it was - pickles? ginger?

There is a part three coming when this mommy finds time:)

1 comment:

Rory said...

Hey honey, I am really glad that you got to go experience this. I cannot wait to go back to Nikko with you and Dylan. I love you and miss you so much!!