Sunday, October 5, 2008

1st Family Trip

As you all know Dylan and I were thrilled to have our outings complete having Rory/Daddy along with us. The first day out we headed to Yokohama's Chinatown. How crazy is that - Rory's first full day in Japan and we head to Chinatown. Don't ask because it didn't strike Rory and I until we were already there!

Below is one of the entrances to the Chinatown district of downtown Yokohama. This is the largest Chinatown in Japan.

As we exited the train station we saw a map and decided to try and "consult" it to see what was around the area. Just as we had bent closer thinking we would understand better a Japanese lady stopped her bike behind us and in blessed English said May I help out find something.

This was great though we knew Chinatown was just down the street why not have local help. She pedalled on ahead of us stopped and showed us the huge entrance below. Doubt we would have missed that:)

Chinatown was food.

Ok so there were a few shops selling trinkets, a large building that said museum but looked like multiple stores in one (not a stroller friendly building due to the multiple levels within one floor) but mainly food. Below is a picture taken before we decided what to have for lunch ironically enough we ended up back at a store very similar to this one.

The whole morning we had seen these baskets steaming all along the store fronts. This must be a popular Chinese fare so we were game to guess what we were ordering. In the picture below the Number 1 is missing from the stand but that is what I got - it looked the same as the 4th one from the left except the center was filled with different ingredients. Rory got the first one on the left - shark fin. The lady said that to us in English just making sure that was ok. Rory having had shark before said that was fine. Can I tell you how bland and tasteless our lunch was! It was all about texture and nothing to do with flavor. In my humble opinion there wasn't even enough flavor for it to taste bad! Oh but dear friends they made up for it with the texture especially the good ole shark fin. I took a bite and decided that was all Rory especially after he made it come alive squeezing the insides up and down out of the pocket. No worries mother's out there we weren't playing with our food at the table. We took our Chinese "pockets" to a park and picnicked. Ok let me get down to the business of trying to disturb you with a description of the shark fin. Picture a translucent grayish, beige oozing goo with tubular darker beige "tentacles" suspended in the goo. Are you hungry? Mine wasn't near as bad but so blah I didn't finish it Rory got the pleasure of finishing both. I am sure at that moment he was thrilled to be home:)


So who likes to make sure that their socks are on perfectly before slipping their foot into shoes. Ok put your hands down. I know there was at least one or two hands since my sister also has to make sure her socks are perfect as I do. Check out the shoes below!
I think he knew I wanted a shoe picture since he is displaying them so nicely:)

This is not the only place I have seen these toe shoes - (don't think ballerina) Almost all of the base yard men wear these shoes. I have even seen one construction worker wearing them. For him they are prayer shoes - he is praying someone doesn't drop something heavy on the construction site near his feet! I wonder if they make steel toe, toe shoes?
Dylan thought Chinatown was exciting:)

A very ornate Temple in Chinatown. I need to do some research about it's purpose/history. A lady asked us since we looked like local English speakers? if this was the Temple made for a famous Chinese general or something to that nature. We obviously have no idea, but will know before I scrapbook the pictures.



Though this photo is lacking dimension and perspective I wanted to capture the bright colors and artwork on the ceiling panels.
Enjoy this inside look at the Temple because I don't think I am supposed to have it. By reading hand gestures directing me up to the Temple I decided to investigate while Rory stayed with our sweet son and stroller. I walked around the outside then headed in not seeing a sign forbidding me - well it isn't like I would have been able to read it anyways. I saw two workers inside and thought they saw the gajin (I tend to stand out) not to mention we were the only 3 inside. I took some picture then ventured in farther to get a look at the gold inlay of the altar. That is when the hand gestures got serious - I received the arms crossed over the chest and then hands waving me back. I got the meaning, apologized and back out the door. So enjoy the picture.

Here is the park that we stopped at to eat our less than luscious lunch. After lunch this bubblefest took place which was a special unexpected treat. The Lord sure knows how to give to those who love Him.
At first Dylan was more interested in the other children...


But Daddy showed him the neat bubbles
After Chinatown, we headed to a harbor side park before starting our train ride home. This is where we saw the plaque that matched the one we saw in San Diego. Yokohama and San Diego are sister cities and have given each other statues, lamps and gardens.
Dylan loved his time here because he was surround by his favorite animal:) He squeals every time he sees or hears birds. Dylan even presses his little face to the sliding glass door to see them fly by or sit up on top the neighboring tower.
Here he was able to chase them!






1 comment:

Jenna said...

Again- y'all are just WAY more adventurous with food than I will EVER be! Shark fin?? I've heard of eating shark, just not specifically the fin. Ooh, it just gave me the shivers just thinking about it!!

Just let me know if you need a shipment of granola bars or something to tide you over for the next year!!