Wednesday, October 1, 2008

USS George Washington Arrives in Japan!!!! Sept. 25th

I cannot even begin to describe to you the overwhelming excitement, happiness, blissfulness, and delight that came with the morning high tide here in Yokosuka, Japan. The night before sleep eluded me as my mind was filled with thoughts of a joyous homecoming, but as early morning crept in my body gave in and slept a peaceful sleep.
Sweet Dylan is doing his best to show you the patriotic excitement on Pier 12 as we eagerly await the USS GW surround by other families, well wishers and a few curious spectators. He was waving the blessed American flag just as fast as his pudgy hand could as he joined in vocally. Daddy was coming home!!!!!
As you can imagine this was a HUGE event for the media. This shot only captures a portion of the media vans lining the pier. I also saw numerous nonmilitary helicopters in the air. Of course, they had to stay on the perimeter otherwise the GW helios would let them know who was really boss.

The pier was set up for the affair.
Her rails and walkways were adorned in Red, White and Blue. A wide range of tents lined the pier from breakfast foods being served, radio station playing music, banks giving away pens to CVN 73 Japanese comic books, maps of the local area and children's videos - all free.
The Navy Band and Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Band were both playing but our favorite was the taiko drummers.



There is something to be said for learning how to ask for a picture in Japanese. :)
Just look how Dylan is reaping the benefits:) This kind Japanese drummer lady took the initiative to help him "learn" how to play the drums while mommy's camera kept on clicking away.

As the Japanese drums thundered and the crowd cheered for their loved ones the USS George Washington became visible in our portion of the Tokyo Harbor!

The drums truly heightened the dramatic entrance of the first forward deployed nuclear powered aircraft carrier. As my eyes alighted on the ship for the first time off the end of the pier I was overwhelmed. Many of you know me as the low maintenance "tomboy" well Sept 25th I was the pageant girl. Out of nowhere my hand fluttered in front of my mouth as my eyes welled up with tears of gratitude and happiness.
(I did laugh inside when I caught myself doing the the hand flutter)



After the ship's mooring lines were thrown over and the brows lowered the ceremony began. I love history and find it fascinating that our family was literally making history, but.... When you haven't seen the love of your life in too long you really just want everyone to hurry up with the pomp and circumstance and call away liberty!
I tried to listen through my excitement and duties as Dylan's entertainment to the hour long ceremony.


Navy Arriving...
Unites States Arriving...
This is the way the Secretary of the Navy and the Ambassador to Japan were announced. I knew that the Captain of Rory's ship is announced as George Washington arriving or George Washington departing when he would arrive or depart the ship. This was new to me though. I must admit that hearing United States Arriving was an attention getter.
Top picture is the Secretary of the Navy,Donald C. Winter and the picture below is the Ambassador J. Thomas Schieffer

Below is Admiral Keiji Akahoshi
Chief of Staff, Maritime Self-Defense Force

Every speech was translated either to Japanese or English depending on who was speaking. Both our national anthem and the Japanese national anthems were sung. I have two videos from the ceremony that I will try to post.
As soon as the ceremony was over and we heard the announcement that Liberty was granted being that low maintenance loud tomboy I yelled yea give us our men!! You don't have to be embarrassed for me everyone was cheering and yelling so not that many people heard. An older officer who was nearby did and his stern sea weathered face instantly burst into a smile! He knows and understands.
I am sure you are thinking what I was enough enough lets see Rory!!

Welcome to Japan, love!



Not everyone was as thrilled and ecstatic as we were to have the GW pier side in Yokosuka. The mayor of the city is quoted in the newspaper as saying during his speech (I couldn't hear so well) "I don't necessarily welcome the ship itself." said Yokosuka Mayor Ryoichi Kabaya "But I would like to welcome the [ships] capability and the crew"

That evening on Route 16 on which the main gate lies an estimated 2,500 people marched peaceably but loudly protesting the arrival of the nuclear powered carrier. Earlier in the afternoon the protesters had hung a 12 foot banner from the pedestrain walkway directly in front of our main gate. Police told the group to remove the sign and after arguing with the police for 30 minutes the sign was removed. Also prior to the march, protesters handed out peace and anti-nuclear pamphlets to sailors as they left the base.

Rory, Dylan and I didn't experience any of this because were in in our tiny apartment enjoying family time. Later in the afternoon but before the march we went out to the mall to grab some veggies but didn't see any protesters.


5 comments:

Megan said...

What great pictures Kim - I am so glad you posted them!! I hope that you guys had a great time at the aquarium and I am sure that you guys were sad to see Rory off again but the time will hopefully fly by. We love and miss you!!

Nikki said...

Okay, it must be the prenancy hormones, but that post actually brought tears to my eyes a couple of times!! Love you - so glad that you all had SOME time - and GREAT pictures!! xoxoxo

Jenna said...

NIkki, I don't have any pregnancy hormones going through me right now and I was brought to tears, too. Thank you for sharing all these photo, Kim!

Jaime said...

How funny that my sister left the same comment I was going to! I am definitely not dealing with pregnancy hormones and I am teary-eyed right now. I am so happy Rory made it safe and sound....

Jen Davis said...

Okay, I'm not pregnant either and it brought tears to my eyes. It must be a female thing. :) Kim, I can see the joy in your eyes. I'm glad you finally had your man in your arms and Dylan had his Daddy. Great pictures! I felt like I was there. :)

Take care and we love you!