Friday, August 29, 2008

Orientation Days 3 & 4

The adventure began on a warm rainy morning forget a dark and stormy night I sure would have stayed home. For those interested in the adventure: round one Kim the Gaikoku jin versus Japan's Public Transportation see the bottom of the post.
This first picture is a man hole cover but it very well maybe a underground fire hydrant. In my briefings, I was told of underground fire hydrants though this one doesn't look like any on the power point. I guess the Japanese fire departments didn't know about Dalmatians as a pet option so they adopted an......anime squid? Entrance to the Keikyu Line at Yokosuka-Chuo Station
I doubt you can see the train map in this picture can you? No worries if you saw it up close it wouldn't mean much more than this picture:) But at least you could count the stations and see how long it takes in between them. This comes in handy later.
Below the oh so helpful map are the ticket kiosks each with an English button!
Here comes a my train
LUNCH TIME


















Crash course in the use of chopsticks - I have tried them one other time in my life. My 21st birthday. Couldn't do it then and never tried again until yesterday.

This first dish =something - that was tasty. My guess would be some type of lettuce, cooked pork, raw or lightly steamed zucchini and white curl deals wrapped in a Vietnamese clear wrap











Curry and Rice with Beef and Eggplant the lunch I ordered which is the second picture. How cute is the garlic dish? I ate this with the spoon provided. Not sure about the etiquette of that move. I did look around and saw another "local looking" woman eating her rice and "stuff on the rice" with both her spoon and chopsticks.














Pictures from Yokohama where I ended up shopping. I changed the pictures to black and white because I felt they looked better. It was a drizzling nasty day which just made my pictures all drab.
During our culture shock brief the gentleman from fleet and family support told us about Engrish. Pops had mentioned to me he thought the Japanese didn't use l's well he was correct again:) There is no l sound in their vocabulary guess I am Kimbery and my son Dyan. I am not sure I like our names as they sound without the ls. Along with telling us about Engrish (there is a website if you care to look it up) he mentioned the Japanese love using English even though they rarely know what it means. Sometime they have shirts on with a random listing of words like Pleasant Green Hope I Am. I made that one up but will keep my open for a real one. Here is what I found













The next two pictures are from a furniture store in the mall. I realize that as a people the Japanese are smaller in stature but the couches and beds are so very low.












(I am still working on tell you all about the trip. Being my first big adventure out there is a lot to share, but it is getting late. I have been dealing with allergies since I got here:( and have a pounding headache so it is off the computer so I can get to bed )
Because of my competitive spirit round two is tomorrow weather permitting!









4 comments:

Heather said...

Kim, I love reading about your adventures!! You'll probably be a chopstick genius by the time you get back and you can teach me! Miss you girl!

Nikki said...

That is just great. I love the commentary!! I think the "clear wrap" on your food is Rice Paper...but I may be wrong?!Keep it coming, your blog actually made me laugh out loud! Miss you and will be missing you more tomorrow.xoxoxo

Megan said...

Sounds like you are having a good time exploring and people watching - love the kimonos :o) Love and miss you!!

Tami@ourhouse said...

This is so fun! Thanks for the peak into the Japanese life... I had a very good Japanese friend in Florida and she and her husband (who was American but not tall) cut down the legs on their bed and their children's beds. It was funny to see, but looked quite modern. Now I see this reminded her of home.