Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Dr Seuss

RIGHT WAY - LEFT WAY
WRONG WAY - RIGHT WAY
EVERY WHICH WAY
During orientation we were able to take the written aspect of the driving test. I knew we were going to have the opportunity but didn't study. This was for numerous reasons, I didn't have a manual, I wanted to spend time with my son in the evenings and well essentially it didn't rank that high on my list. I went into orientation on Friday thinking there was a very high probability of failing my drivers test. Oh well I don't have a car and am more than likely not getting one. This license would be for renting a car. When I failed I figured I would just reschedule to take it later. Wow was I surprised to find out I passed! I did spend some time on Friday during breaks looking over the manual they finally gave us.
I scheduled my driving test for the following Tuesday morning. Walking to the building I intently watched all the cars driving on the left side of the road and repeated to myself left left left. 3 of us were taken out at the same time. I was the second person to drive which I know believe was the best position.
There is a Japanese national sitting in the passenger seat with one eye on you, one on the road and one on the papers in his hand. No he only has two eyes but some how he can accomplish this impossible feat. The Japanese man was slightly jumpy with the first lady and kept repeating "oh please don't hit" he was talking about the curb. For me he only said please turn left at stop sign or please turn right here. He also didn't make any comments other than directional ones to the last man. The last guy had to park the car. In Japan, you don't park facing in like most of us do in the states you always park facing out. I can back into a small parking space with a jumpy Japanese driving teacher looking over my shoulder, but can think of a hundred other things I would rather be doing:)
Driving on the left side of the road was strange but not as odd feeling as I had imagined. You have to remember to look to the left first; don't turn right on red:) and don't drive by instinct. At this point I am back to being ultra focused on every little turn. I feel like one old 16 year old. I didn't turn the wipers on when turning! I had heard about this and was determined not to do it. See the turn signal is where the windshield wiper switch is in the states. The last guy to drive turned on the wipers twice. I thought it was funny and thanked him for adding some humor to our morning.
We all passed! I had thought of taking a picture of my license to show you all but then realized how wise that wasn't. Interestingly enough there is no picture on our license. Granted this could be due to the fact that ours is issued by the Navy. Maybe we are to show our military id at the same time as our license if need be. I pray this need never arises for me!
I am now a licensed professional driver here in Japan. In Japan everyone who obtains a license is considered a professional driver. My calligraphy teacher and friend Yoko didn't get a license until she was 30 and it cost her the equivalent to our $40
Ok so you understand the Dr Seuss aspect of the road since everything is left instead of right, but how about walking on the side walk. I have no correct answer for you there. That must be the every which way. Here on base I thought for sure I would be fine walking on the right side - Hello we are from the states. Ok not so in some cases, I promise you Dylan and I may have been mowed down except my SUV is bigger and I moved over. Then I will be walking on the left side and some one is coming straight at me - I know they must be thinking hello you are from the states walk on the right side:) Out in town people walk everywhere! Just in case you slip into a daze there are even those bumps/ridges leading up to the end of the side walk before you cross the street. They are like the ones we have in the states on the edges of the highway for if you are sleepy. I wonder do people sleep walk through Japan?

No comments: