Thursday, September 11, 2008

If You Know Me...

As promised here are the photos before the journaling.
Below are pictures from our balcony taken this evening Sept 11th.
As I am saying goodnight to 9-11 most of my friends and family will be awaking to start the day. I ask that you please take time today to remember...
For many of us it is a day that will live in infamy but it is just that a painful day in history. For others though it is a day that horrifically changed their life and the pain is still real since the hole is still there. Please take some time out of your busy day to pray just because it isn't a fresh wound for many of us doesn't mean that is the case for all. Thank you
The city lights in the distance past the dome are lights in Yokosuka. The dome building is our commissary and nex (equivalent to(or trying to be) your grocery store and walmart)
A moutain/hill here on base. There are a couple different such "lumps" in our terrain on base. I will try to get other photos to share with you

If You Know Me...

Then you know...
I love my country and fitness therefore when I heard there was a 9-11 Freedom 3k Walk I was so there. At all of our military bases here in Japan the walk was being held simultaneously. It began this evening at 5pm. This walk will also be held in the states at many bases but obviously we won't be walking at the same time. :)
Dylan and I were ready to go not only were we going to pray for the families who lost loved ones during 9-11 and the soldiers currently deployed we were going to get some exercise.
Then you know...
I am directionally impaired most of the time. As we were lined up near one of the gyms I was chatting with a lady I had meet before. I saw the map propped up against a car and she mentioned general directions of where we were walking. I made the WRONG assumption that others were out for a speed walk as well and I would follow along with them. As we started out Dylan and I pulled ahead with only a pair of joggers ahead of us. I had decided since it was a walk we were walking not jogging like those two! I also wanted to see how fast I could finish by only speed walking. This of course left me alone on the course 1st out of the walkers. I then proceeded to miss a cone and arrow. I realized when I was down by the pier area and passing through two tunnels there is no way this could be the route it was a little busy with motor vehicle traffic. O-well what can you do I was still booking it getting my exercise.
I spotted a road that I remember the lady mentioning and I knew it from previous walks. I turned and headed up the road. It was then that I came across a little boy and his friends. He was in tears and his buddies were at a loss for what to do. I stopped to check on what was happening. The little guy maybe 7 I am not good with ages had fallen and scrapped up his arm pretty good. He was crying for a band-aid. Well I don't carry band-aids in my orange and black "sports car", but I do always have a baby wipe. So I helped him hold a baby wipe to his arm. I then said I would walk him home if he liked. There as no answer just I really need a band-aid. I guess sometime band-aids can cure all:) He started walking home alone. I looked at his buddies and said don't you think it would be nice to walk him home so he isn't alone. To this I received silent nods as they all turned and headed off with their injured friend. It was at this point that I spotted some of the walkers ahead on another road
Then you know...
Ah ha my competitive spirit springs forth and we were off. We were really bookin' it now and the calves were screaming as I threw the "sports car" into high gear. I saw an opportunity to finish the race and finish ahead of others. No I did not start to jog though I wanted to with all my heart.
My competitive spirit continued to receive it's fuel as we would pass another clump of walkers and my screaming calves seemed to quiet in the realization we won't be anywhere near last! As we came around the curve at the end of the sea wall I saw the finish line. Standing around there seemed to only be about a 1/3 of the people who had taken off. Oh yeah buddy I passed my last two walkers to make it in 31 minutes. I then proceeded to ask the organizer, a man who has qualified for the iron man in Hawaii (wow), how long of a race I went on:) He laughed because I guess the cone was rather large that I missed, but told me I probably went on my very own 4.5-5k Freedom Walk.
Then you know...
I walked home very satisfied.
I may not have come in first, but I beat a ton of people, took an extra long walk:) and helped a little boy.
All in all a wonderful walk

2 comments:

Heather said...

You are so funny! I love your competitive spirit! We are so much alike :)

Mike, Melissa, Mallorie, Cassie & Emorie said...

You go girl!!!!! What a memory and how much fun I'm sure it was. Note....yes, band-aids are a cure-all. I know from personal experience. Oh, and character band-aids cure even better! :-) How sweet of you to stop and help the little boy.